- Oyster farming growing is hard work
- Oyster farmers are possibly not earning enough to make a living. They may need to increase efficiency.
- The rafts are unstable, fall apart, rot.
- How do we make Oytser farming cheap, sustainable and easy?
The project is trying to modernise and cheapen the process of oyster production, mainly by radically decreasing the physical workload and necessary capital.
- What is it? What does it do?
- What are the questions this work is asking? What new knowledge are you creating?
- How are you going to test your assumptions?
- How to maintain your device?
- What do you think are the strongest and the weakest points in your project now?
- What construction technique are you using?
- Who uses it? Can you draw a particular user? Can you describe to me that user, how they look, your assumption on their backgrounds, abilities, preferences, and what drives them?
- What are the benefits users can get from the device?
- What problems does your design cause?
- How do you operate and maintain this installation?
- How do people get on board?
- How much weight can you carry?
- How to maximum efficiency and convenience for the user
- Are there simpler ways to achieve the objective?
- Are there other possible use for clean seawater filtered by oysters?
- How long will it be in the water?
- Is it stable? Safe? ship survivability？
- Is the device safe and environmental friendly to the ocean
- What is the scale and materials? Where and how is it built? Where do the materials come from? Where do the materials go after it’s used/broken?
- What materials would you use? Where do you source it? Once used, where does it go?
- is it recyclable？
- How long does the project take to be complete: build, bring on site and board?
- How to mass produce the device?
- Where does the installation get its energy from?
- Is it sustainable and how?
- Is your installation amicable to all marine lives?
- How does it work? Especially the biology of it?
- Which other species will naturally be attracted to the oyster reef there, such as crabs, fish, mussels, algae and other species?
- Where do you think this installation would be? Choose a very specific site in Hong Kong waters. Why there? Tell me the characteristics of the place: water depth, tide, current, wave, closest port, fauna and flora, people and industries nearby.
- Will it be influenced by the weather condition?
- Does your device perform differently when in different geographic environments(for instance, near shore, in shallow water, and in distant seawater)?
- Is it cost-effective?
- Is it possible to be mass-produced?
- What is the product / outcome of this installation? Who benefits from it? What is the business model of this?